You can coax the cold right out of me [past]

with celi rosales

The western coastline of the United States and the Pacific Northwest include Washington, Oregon, and California.
Dove Koenig
Cash on hand: Locked

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:21 am

Winter had been harsh. Snow up to a man's thighs on good days with some snowfall blockading doors on the worst. Travel into town for supplies was nearly impossible in such conditions, unless you wanted to kill the horse you rode in on in the process. Since there was only so much that could be stockpiled over the long periods of heavy snow, people had to find other ways to fend for themselves through the long, cold nights.

Dove stood in a grove of trees. It was one of the few spots in the forest where sunlight streamed through. The snow around Dove's feet lit up almost as brightly as the sun itself, and he could feel the reflection burn under his chin.

He was dressed in the most drab things he owned: a gray wool coat lined with white fur with a white undershirt and a gray newsboy cap. He hadn't shaved in two days. Without access to the town, he hadn't had access to most of his beauty supplies, either.

Dove was, admittedly, going a touch stir crazy. The lack of amenities didn't help. He had grumpily locked himself in his room since the day before, only sneaking out to grab a handful of bread for sustenance. That morning, Dove had grown tired of the lack of real food. He had left a note on the kitchen table:

Meet me in the clearing with the forked tree. We're going hunting.

--Dove

So Dove waited.
Araceli Rosales

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:02 pm

Araceli had broken the clock this time.

It wasn't a necessary item and it wasn't the only one in the cabin, so he didn't think Dove would mind too much. Honestly, it was what Dove got for locking himself up in his room like that. Winters were harsh and even if the days were short, they were extraordinarily boring when the time had to spent on your own. Araceli had blown through all of his boxed puzzles the first day Dove decided to play isolation. Really, he needed new ones; the pieces were starting to fall apart.

When Dove refused to come out of his room the second day, Araceli searched around the house; he found the tools he needed, stole an old pair of Dove's reading glasses, and dismounted the clock from the wall. He went to his room, left the door wide open in case Dove decided to make an appearance, and began to pick the machine apart.

The third day, the clock was half way put together. Araceli had to quit earlier the previous evening because he had misplaced a piece. By the time he woke up, Dove wasn't in his room. Dove wasn't anywhere in the cabin at all. There was just a note left behind, one which Araceli did not read fully. As soon as he saw the words meet me, he rushed to his room to throw on his thicket winter coat (black wool and gray fur lined around the cuffs) over the underclothes he'd already been wearing. He grabbed his hunter's cap and the note on his way out the door. As soon as he knew where they were meeting, it didn't take him too long to get there.

He trudged up through the snow and as soon as Dove was in sight, he beamed, "It's about damn time. I thought you'd never come out of your room."
Dove Koenig

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:37 pm

Dove heard Celi long before he saw him, which made Dove shake his head. Every deer within forty miles had probably heard Celi go on a merry tromp through the woods. Dove made a mental note to teach Celi the fine art of not being the loudest thing in the forest.

He didn't quite look Celi head on, still too embarrassed by how unkempt he looked. Even when working in his lab, Dove's biggest problem was grease on his hands and face. He never looked...undone.

"I wasn't feeling well," Dove said, all too defensive. "Which is why I look hideous. So don't sound so cheerful."

Actually, Dove hadn't felt well because helooked hideous. Not the other way around. But Celi didn't need to know that.
Araceli Rosales

Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:16 am

Araceli liked very few things about the winter: firewood crackling underneath the heat, warm blankets and warm bodies, but his favorite thing about winter was the way fresh snow sounded underfoot.

Even when he hated the snow.

"I didn't know not feeling well was grounds for ignoring someone. I'll remember that next time I'm not feeling well and you come calling."

He sounded so chipper. So gleeful to be outside doing something. To be around Dove even if it had only been a couple of days since he last saw him.

Celi came to a stop close to Dove's side. "By the way, the clock in the den doesn't work."
Dove Koenig

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:13 pm

"Ha ha," said Dove in a flat tone. "When I do it, I'm secreting myself away to be productive. When you do it, you're probably doing something useless. Like reading a Farmers Almanac."

Though really, Dove hadn't been terribly productive in his time locked away. Unless you called lamenting his five o'clock shadow and hiding under the covers as productive.

He shot Celi an incredulous look when he mentioned the clock.

"What happened? I had Artemis wind the thing last month."
Araceli Rosales

Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:12 am

"Excuse me," Araceli scoffed, "I do not read the Farmer's Almanac." Usually, Araceli slept. If he really wanted to get away, he explored the surrounding woods or took a swim in the creek.

Araceli didn't look at Dove when he mentioned Artemis. His gaze became fixed on a tree in the distance. None of any particularity. He just couldn't lie when he looked at Dove.

"You see," he started but didn't really know how to continue. Okay, he just couldn't lie in general. "I need new puzzles."
Dove Koenig

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:19 am

Dove gave Celi a look like he didn't really believe him. As though Celi were the very man that Farmer's Almanac salesmen targeted when they went door to door selling those things. Or, actually, Dove wasn't sure how Farmer's Almanacs were sold or who even did the selling. Farmers, perhaps?

He had only just turned his gaze away to peer into the spaces between the trees in front of them when Celi elaborated on the clock. That made Dove whip his gaze back to Celi, this time in horror.

"Araceli, did you mangle my clock?"
Araceli Rosales

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:09 am

He didn't have to look at Dove to know what kind of trouble he was in. Araceli could hear it in Dove's voice. A nervous, tight smile. Celi looked anywhere but at Dove.

"So, uh, hunting. Right?"

He was never good at changing the subject.
Dove Koenig

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:21 am

"You--" Dove clearly wanted to do something to Celi. Something significant enough to leave some kind of impact because Celi had murdered his fucking clock. The one Dove had first bought from Artemis when he'd bought the cabin. The one which he made sure to finely wind whenever he could, and which he had taken in for repairs many times to be sure the thing would last a lifetime.

Dove's act of revenge was to reach over and pinch Celi's butt, hard.

"Yes, hunting," Dove said with a huff. "I'm going to show you how to take down a deer."
Araceli Rosales

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:47 am

He wasn't going to hear the end of this. Dove was going to bring this up every single chance he got. It would be ten years from now, Celi would have forgotten entirely about this incident, it would have been seven years since Dove last mentioned it. And then it would happen.

Remember that time you murdered my clock? I'm still upset about that.

This was the fate Celi had chosen; he had to fix that clock before he was doomed to it for ever.

But then Dove goosed him, and Araceli nearly jumped out of his skin. He swatted at Dove's hand but missed. "Tell me, wise one, what do I need to know first?"

He rubbed at his butt.
  • Information