Love and loss share the same unmade bed [past]

with celi rosales

The western coastline of the United States and the Pacific Northwest include Washington, Oregon, and California.
Dove Koenig
Cash on hand: Locked

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:08 pm

"Alright. Drawing, check. Bag of snacks, check. Makeup, check. Present, check. Where did I put my riding cap?"

Dove had talked to himself for the last half an hour as he prepared for their journey. The journey wouldn't even be a long one and yet Dove had stressed himself to the point of frenzy as he went from room to room in search of what he called "necessary supplies."

Those supplies included: the drawing he had made of Celi's mum, a rucksack filled with various foods in case they got hungry (or lost), a small bag of makeup for no other reason than Dove felt like wearing makeup that day and might need a touch up, and a present for Magnolia.

"Celi, where did I put it?" Dove called through the cabin. "I can't find my cap anywhere and I need it."
Araceli Rosales

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:41 am

Araceli hadn’t even tried to pack anything. Dove had been talking to himself for so long, he was sure anything he added would be wrong and it was so much easier just to have Dove take care of it. Celi, instead, busied himself with dressing. What exactly did one wear to go meet a ‘hooker in the woods’ as Dove had described this man that was supposed to be able to find his mother.

A three piece suit? Nothing?

Celi settled on one of his nicer pairs of pants and a shirt that didn’t have any holes or stains. He thought that was a nice medium. It was the simplest of the options.

Celi rounded a corner as Dove began to call for him. “I haven’t seen it,” he answered, coming to a pause in front of Dove. His expression was sincere, unbothered, like the hat was the last thing on his mind.

He was wearing the hat.
Dove Koenig

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:48 am

Dove turned with an expression diametrically opposed to Celi's. He looked ready to tear the cabin apart or cry or do some combination of both if he didn't find his cap in the next three seconds.

So, when his eyes flicked up to see where the hat had gone, Dove's face went blank. Silently, he walked over to where Celi stood and snatched the cap off Celi's head to place onto his own. With a big sigh, Dove walked back to the sitting room sofa where he'd left the rucksack and slung the bag over his shoulder.

"You got the horses ready, right?"
Araceli Rosales

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:30 am

Celi felt bad. Dove looked on the verge of tears when he suddenly made an appearance with his hat, and really, Celi didn't get it. It was a hat. Dove had plenty of hats. Why this one was so important, and why Dove had worked himself up so much over it, was an absolute mystery. He almost apologized but thought it better to keep his mouth shut. He followed Dove back to the rucksack he had packed and fixed the hair that hat-snatching had mussed up.

"Yes," Celi answered, "Horses are ready. I am dressed. You are dressed. Do we have everything?" he asked, trying his best to be dutiful assistant when comedy gold had failed him.
Dove Koenig

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:16 am

"I think so..."

Dove peeked into his rucksack one more time before he was satisfied. What if they got on the road and he realized he'd left Magnolia's present? Except, no, there it was safely tucked within the bag. Dove took a breath. He had nothing to worry about.

Trips always stressed him out. Even simple trips into town could send Dove down a rabbit hole of insecurities. A trip to Magnolia's house had far more significance, and so Dove's stress had ratcheted up tenfold.

"Alright. Let's just go," Dove said. He didn't sound completely sure.

He walked quickly from the cabin and refused to look behind him in case it sent him into another spiral. Dove made his way to the stables instead, where Delilah and Alma stood ready to depart. Dove stepped up to give Delilah a little boop hello on her muzzle.
Araceli Rosales

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:59 pm

"Okay."

As Dove fled the cabin, Araceli glanced around one last time just in case Dove had left something out of the rucksack and just sitting there. He didn't see anything that screamed take me with you and quickly followed Dove out to the stables.

Celi excitedly made his way up to Alma and stroked a hand over her long muzzle. "Buenos días, preciosa," he cooed, "¿Estás listo para una aventura?" He smiled so brightly at Alma and then patted the side of her neck as he moved around her.

Alma just huffed at him.

"So you know where we're going, right?"
Dove Koenig

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:05 pm

Dove smiled as Celi greeted Alma. The warmth Dove felt in his chest was too much for him. He turned his gaze away and instead focused on getting into the saddle. He stepped into the stirrup and swung his leg over Delilah's back with a practiced ease.

"Yes," Dove said, annoyed. There was an awkward moment of silence before Dove admitted, "At least I think I do. Worse comes to worst, I have this."

He pulled a vial from his pocket. At the bottom of the vial was a minuscule amount of faintly glowing liquid. Dove had planned to return the vial to Magnolia, with the remainder of the blue liquid included. However, if Dove and Celi became terribly lost he would at least have a backup.
Araceli Rosales

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 pm

Oh, okay. Celi climbed into the saddle on Alma’s back and squinted at the vial Dove produced. “What’s that supposed to do?” he asked. There was something in the vial but it wasn’t anything that Celi could really distinguish. It just looked like a little bit of Stuff and a whole lot of Nothing, neither of which Celi had much faith in.

That was reserved for Dove. If Dove said he knew the way, we’ll... Celi had yet to be disappointed by Dove and his knowledge. And regardless of the fact that Dove didn’t exactly sound like the surest man in the world about this specific thing, he’ll hold his breath on criticizing the other.
Dove Koenig

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:59 am

Celi's lack of response to the magic glowing vial was a little disappointing. Dove made a face and eyed the vial curiously, as if the tiny bit of blue substance might have escaped without his notice. Yet there it was, dim but still very much glowing. Was Celi not impressed with magic or something?

"It will guide us if we get lost," said Dove. At least, that's what he hoped.

He clicked his tongue at Delilah and shifted his body to encourage her to move. Delilah made another of her excited nickering sounds and kicked off into a steady cant. Dove looked behind him to make sure Celi hadn't had any trouble taking off with Alma.
Araceli Rosales

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:10 am

"Okay..." Celi tried so hard to sound like he understood what Dove was talking about in regards to the vial and its questionable contents. Honestly, Celi just couldn't see how that might help them if they get lost in the forest, but he was sure there was some magical proponent he just wasn't getting and he was more than happy to put his trust in Dove in this matter.

He didn't really have much of a choice.

Delilah was off and Celi nudged Alma gently with his foot to get her in motion and they were... Wait, Celi was still standing still. He leaned forward and patted her gently on her neck, "Come on, Alma, don't be difficult. We're gonna go talk to the hooker in the woods about my mama. It's a little bit of a big deal."

Celi didn't know what he said or did, but when he sat up again, Alma was starting to follow Delilah. He grinned wide at Dove.
  • Information