No better version of me [past]

with celi rosales

The western coastline of the United States and the Pacific Northwest include Washington, Oregon, and California.
Dove Koenig
Cash on hand: Locked

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:20 am

"Five minutes," Dove mimicked in a surprisingly good imitation of Celi. Except with far more stank on the words than was really necessary.

Dove closed his eyes. He swore it would just be for a moment. No more than was needed to prove Celi completely wrong. Five minutes, that's what Celi had said. No more than...five...minutes...

In the silence of the room, only one sound could be heard. The pervasive, peeping intonation of Dove's snores.
Araceli Rosales

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:08 am

It didn't even take five minutes. Araceli was thankful Dove had managed to fall asleep so easily, if only to make sure that the man got the rest he needed. The fact that he was right had absolutely nothing to do with it. Not at all.

Celi tried not to smile too smugly as he turned to leave the room, lest Dove sense it and immediately awaken to wipe it off his face. He went to go tackle the next obstacle: the fact that Dove likely hasn't eaten in going on twenty-four hours now.

Honestly, Celi didn't know how Dove survived before him.
Dove Koenig

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:31 am

It was four hours before Dove rolled over in bed with a groggy moan. He rubbed at his eyes, expecting the light of morning to hit him square in the face as it was wont to do. Instead, he was greeted with the golden light of dusk.

Dove sat up in confusion. His hair stuck up in about a thousand places. His clothes were a rumpled mess. He was also still covered in charcoal, though a good portion of it had also wound up in his sheets.

"Wh-what?" he slurred.

He rolled from his bed. Thankfully, sleep had given him at least 20% more muscle control than he'd had before. Dove managed to shuffle out of his room instead of stumble. He shuffled all the way to the dining room, where he'd planned to make a beeline for the liquor cabinet.

Something in the kitchen gave him pause. Dove stood in the doorway, brows knit together in confusion.

"Araceli?"
Araceli Rosales

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:10 pm

He hadn't made much: just cornbread with a ham and bean stew because that was easy enough and filling enough that it would hopefully last a while and make up for what little Dove had eaten that day. He mostly chose it because it allowed Araceli to occupy his time with other things. He'd tried reading one of Dove's books, but even his fluency didn't quite reach the level that Dove seemed to keep stock of. He'd started and abandoned a puzzle. He'd peeked into Dove's workshop and looked at all the schematics he had lying around.

He thought about taking a nap, too, but by the time he realized he should of, he had to apply the finishing touches to the slow cooking stew and knowing Dove's sleep habits, he was going to be up at anytime. Araceli took the puzzle he had started in the parlor apart and moved it to the kitchen table. He was just getting back all the progress he had lost when he noticed Dove wandering around.

"Good morning," he chirped with his small grin; he could feel the smugness coming back but he tried not to let it show. "Well, evening. Did you have a nice rest?"
Dove Koenig

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:00 am

Since Dove had left England and his wealthy lifestyle behind, he'd had to quickly grow accustomed to food and drink that wasn't shipped in from exotic locales or painstakingly made by a trained chef. Dove had found that while nothing could quite compare to chèvre paired with a fine vin jaune served by an attractive Frenchman with soulful dark eyes, he could certainly live with a home cooked meal served by an adorable Celi.

He eyed Celi with what he hoped was a degree of malice, but which probably came off as threatening as a house cat who wasn't allowed on the counter top. Dove averted his eyes to the food and forced himself to say,

"It was fine. I guess," Dove said.

Dove approached Celi's table. He gazed down at the puzzle and had the strongest urge to shove some of the pieces off the table. His hand paused above the table like he may have been seriously considering it.
Araceli Rosales

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:43 am

Dove's look was only enough to make Celi grin even wider. Any chance of hiding how clever he thought he was, tricking Dove, was gone. And Dove did not look too pleased with him.

Oh well.

"You look better." Dove still look tired, but that was something Celi had come to accept. The man got too little sleep as it was, and after spending so many hours awake, Celi was just glad he got even an hours worth of sleep. "Not that you looked bad before," Celi quickly added as he eyed Dove's hand, "just that you don't look half dead."
Dove Koenig

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:37 am

He slowly moved his hand away from the table when he spotted Celi eyeing his movements. Throwing the puzzle pieces to the floor was still plan C, if things really went south.

"Aww. Are you always this charming or am I just lucky?" Dove said with his hands planted jauntily on his hips. He dropped his hands to his sides and immediately went back to looking miserable. "You don't have to rub it in, you know."

Dove was many things. A successful mechanical engineer. A snappy dresser. A half decent chess player. However, a graceful loser Dove was not and he never would be. He was more the type of petty individual who took losses all the way to the grave.
Araceli Rosales

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:58 am

"Rub what in?" and he was more curious than anything. Oblivious and innocent and then suddenly aware of his bright eyes and too excited grin. Dove wasn't used to losing. And apparently he was a sore one. And a part of Celi did feel bad for his almost gloat, but another part of him was just glad that Dove had slept.

"Dove," he sighed, the smile melting from his features, "You can't be upset at me for taking care of you. This is what you hired me for. You needed to sleep." And he said it as gently as he could, the concern he has felt seeping into his words.
Dove Koenig

Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:22 pm

Smug Celi was not a sight Dove ever wanted to see again, or so he swore to himself. Never mind that Celi was actually pretty cute when he had won at something. Dove really didn't want to weigh what he valued more--seeing Celi puff up with pride at a minor victory or his own dignity. He didn't think he'd like his own answer.

Dove sighed when Celi turned serious. Celi had a point, of course he did, but Dove didn't want to relent. Because once he started to give in to the idea that his health mattered more than his work, Dove might have to give up his workaholic tendencies.

"I need to make money as well. For the both of us," Dove said. "It's why I devote myself to projects like this. I can't afford not to. Besides, I was sleeping. Just...not traditionally."

Not traditionally for human beings, anyway.
Araceli Rosales

Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:28 pm

"No, no, no," Celi shook his head and stood from the stool he had been perched on. He moved over to the empty bowls he had set out and started to ladle in the stew. "We are not having this discussion again. And you weren't sleeping; you were passing out. That's two very different things."

He set the bowls on the kitchen table away from his puzzle and grabbed the plate of cornbread. "You cannot excel at your work if you do not take care of yourself. I understand your work is important, but after a while it becomes useless when you're exhausted beyond belief."
  • Information