Setting Up Shop

Beyond the borders of the U.S. lie the rest of the world in all her glory, with plenty of civilized and uncivilized areas alike.
Edward Burton
Cash on hand: Locked

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:57 am

The doctor is trying to shoo her out of the way almost as soon as she is reaching out to touch him. His vitals are being taken as she speaks and he again closes his eyes in sudden pain.

"I'm fine the doctor just said and yes we are Doctor."

Ed answers her question his voice confused as the doctor gives his diagnosis. "He is fine physically, though the glowing eyes are a bit of an oddity. Are you involved in magic in any way?" The doctor pauses and blinks as he registers the words Ed's words. Had the young man answered his question before he asked it?

"Oh, I see what is happening. Yes, this is very disconcerting. My attack was relating to Ather but, Uhm, I am fine doctor if you could give us some privacy, please?"

Ed watches the Doctor go a look of intense concentration on his face. Once they have said privacy he looks at Rose.

"It appears as though I was right, my past self-did have a sense I didn't. Once you reminded me of what it was, it woke up. My reaction is fairly common to a young mage gaining time sense for the first time."
Rose Marlowe

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:32 am

The doctor's comment about his eyes drew a puzzled glance from Rose. What was he talking about? Edward's eyes had always...

Oh.

There went her past-life memories transposing over her current memories again. It was rather disconcerting when she realized that was happening. She fell silent as the doctor departed and Edward explained what had happened. Hearing that she had triggered the incident made her eyes widen, and guilt twisted her heart.

Very careful not to jostle him too much, she climbed gingerly onto the bed alongside Edward, just wanting to be close to him. She sounded positively distraught as she spoke, tears continuing to slip over her skin.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean for this to happen to you. The words just.. just popped into my head, and I don't know why I said them. I didn't intend to cause you any pain."
I have died every day waiting for you. Darling, don't be afraid,
I have loved you for a thousand years. I'll love you for a thousand more.
- Christina Perri, A Thousand Years
Edward Burton

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:58 am

Rose crawls into the bed with him and moments later he is pulling her into his arms. Pressing her head into his chest, a hand running through the smooth silk of her hair. He is answering her statement before she even gets it all out.

"I know you didn't love. It's fine, it will be fine I just need to readjust to this again."

Filtering techniques and the schematics for a helpful pair of glasses come to mind though he doesn't think he will need them. He can already tell that while this Time Sense was part of what he was missing, there was yet more. He'd cracked open the door on this particular ability and while it was open but a crack it could easily be opened or shut again. His past life though had flung it wide, in doing so he'd gained unfathomable insight but with such a high cost the thought of it made Ed want to weep.

Ed wasn't sure if he could regain the same level of proficiency he'd had in his old life. Knowing what it might cost him to get there he wasn't sure he wanted to. For now, though, this very basic time sense was enough for him to understand much of what had been eluding him. He could probably get Romona home with this.
Rose Marlowe

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:09 pm

When Edward pulled her close, she went willingly into his arms, nestling her face against his chest and holding herself close to him. She knew how finicky magic and past lives could be, she should have thought of what it might do to him before just blurting those words out willy nilly. She would never forgive herself for harming him, even inadvertently, and a few more tears dampened his shirt before she managed to control herself.

After several long minutes of silence as Rose regained her composure, she tilted her head so that she could look up at him and spoke quietly.

"At least tell me that some good came of this.. will you be able to help that girl, now?"
Edward Burton

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:57 pm

Ed's hand rests absently upon her shoulder, his thumb moving in slow circles applying steady pressure to flesh underneath. His attention was focused on the scent of her hair as he fights to keep his thoughts in the moment. As it stood right now his time sense would allow for thinking within four dimensions which had been what had been frustrating him, but it was limited. He could see only a scant few minutes into the future and past but even that provided an overwhelming amount of data. It takes him a moment to realize she'd actually vocalized a question as he'd seen so many scenarios where she remained silent or asked something else.

"Oh, yes, once I adjust I should be able to do the calculations without too much difficultly."
Rose Marlowe

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:08 am

A sort of exhausted relief permeated her form then, and Rose slowly relaxed, breathing a soft sigh. Tucking her face against his shoulder, she muttered softly.

"I suppose I'll send her a note once you've recovered and done the calculations. Just let me know when you feel properly recuperated."

Idly, she wondered if they were ever going to have normal, drama-free lives. Unlikely, she thought with a snort.
Edward Burton

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:58 pm

"I'll be fine."

Ed says with a slight yawn as he closes his eyes.

"Just need to rest and adjust."

He mumbles before drifting off, his chest rising and falling slowly as he begins to snore. It would be a few days before he was fully ready to tackle the equations again. Mostly because he needed to readjust to his Time Sense which was, if unattended, a nausea-inducing ability. Still, after about a week he was able to control it enough to get to work and it wasn't long after, thanks to building on his previous work, that he had a working construct in his head of the spell he needed to cast. At which point he gives word to Rose to give word to Romona.
Rose Marlowe

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:49 am

Rose kept a very close eye on Edward during the time of his recovery. She remembered quite well from their previous lives how he could often end up with a terrible headache, not to mention far more unpleasant side-effects, if he didn't take care of himself, thanks to his time sense. When she wasn't watching over her soon-to-be-husband, she was working on putting the finishing touches on their shop, which included inscribing the last of her glyphs and runes, and finally beginning to put stock on the shelves.

This was what she was doing the day that she sent word to Romona that they had finally had some success. She'd sent the message to the girl that morning, and it was now early afternoon. Perched atop a small ladder, Rose was putting books on a higher shelf with Edward's assistance. It was all a matter of waiting for Romona to get their note and arrive, at this point.
Romona Callier

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:21 pm

Finally receiving word her elation knew no bounds and she had almost driven Abe over the edge with it. Considering the amount of patience the man had that was a difficult task. They had been working on her training as of late. Her abilities with water had expanded quite a bit but her medical prowess had yet to truly surface as she had naught but her training from before this world to guide her. They were eating breakfast the morning the note arrived and without thinking she had spilled her cup on the table. The water already soaking into the tablecloth she sheepishly drew it up from the satin the water creating a ball as if it was natural and she lowered it back into her cup. After that she was a bit more careful as she scooted her chair back and hugged her companion before rushing off to collect her things. False hope was always inadvisable. Spending these last few weeks she had become accustomed to this world and as she laced up her boots she found herself sad.

Tears fell down her cheeks before she could realize it. Had she made such a connection to this new life as to be sad to return to her old one? It had been her goal all this time and yet she realized now it would mean leaving a new friendship and the new abilities she had gained. “Get a hold of yourself,” she would speak aloud.

Cleaning her face her eyes were clear the few tears shed not enough to change her complexion. Thus it was that she was bright eyed and bushy tailed as she arrived on their stoop knocking on the door. When Rose would answer she would smile to the woman still clutching the note she had sent, “I came as soon as I could.”
Jake

test
Medals: 1

Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:24 pm

Abe had kept up Romona's training without any complaint. If she'd ever asked him to share his opinion on her current situation. If she would get home, if she should even go home, his response was always the same. He had faith in the young woman and in her judgment and he told her as much. It was not his place to tell her what to do with the rest of her life and the only advice he could give was simple and to the point. "Chase happiness." The wick of the human candle was far too short to worry about anything else.

Edward's recovery was full and though he did have occasional slip-ups with his time sight, he was getting better. The actual Atheric equation for trans-dimensional travel was shockingly short once it was written out, though no one but Ed was able to understand it. Primarily as it was meant to be read in a three-dimensional space and understood within four-dimensional bounds. Without the ability to perceive time to some extent, beyond in a linear fashion, it was impossible to actually understand. Still, it would work he was quite certain.

"Oh hello!"

Ed greets Romona warmly as she comes in his gaze wandering to the ifrit at her side. "Whose your friend?" As this may be the final goodbye Abe had elected to join Romona to see her off. He smiles at Rose and Ed tipping his hat to them. "You can call me Abe, I'm a friend of Romona's."
  • Information